DSS-930 Compensation explanation

6 Berichten
4 Gebruikers
0 Vind-ik-leuks
728 Bekeken
(@chip-usa)
Deelgenomen: 16 jaar geleden
Topic starter  

Could someone provide an overview of what the compensation switch does? How do most of you listen to your DSS-930 speakers? On or Off?

I can easily hear that with compensation "on", there is a noticeable Bass increase and a smaller Treble increase. I'm not sure whether I should use Compensation On or use the separate Bass/Treble controls.

I suppose I know the answer to that - It's purely up to the listener which way to use compensation.

Thanks everyone.

Citeren
(@themode)
Estimable Member
Deelgenomen: 17 jaar geleden

Compensation for the A-curve?

Lowfrequency and Highfrequency boost, like loudness only a 'lighter' version maybe?

BeantwoordenCiteren
(@chip-usa)
Topic starter  

not sure - I thought I read somewhere once that it was an MFB "Motional Feedback" thingy or something like the older Philips speakers had.

BeantwoordenCiteren
(@chrswlr)
Eminent Member
Deelgenomen: 19 jaar geleden

You should leave compensation on. With compensation on the dsp will compensate the phase and frequency deviations of the drivers. When it is off the loudspeaker works in the traditional way. Sound is much more natural when compensation is on.

BeantwoordenCiteren
(@chip-usa)
Topic starter  

Thanks, I do always have it on. It certainly sounds better than off with tone controls in play. By bumping up the bass and treble to about +3 each, it comes close to compensation on but not quite as clean.

BeantwoordenCiteren
(@citrophilips)
Eminent Member

Hello,

The compensation button was really meant for demo use of the speakers.

The interesting point of the speakers is the sound processing that is done within the speakers. Switching off the compensation, switches off this sound processing.

In other words, it turns the special speakers into 'norma' ones, with the restrictions of traditional speakers (closet size and so on).

Regards from France,

Deuche

BeantwoordenCiteren
Deel: