3 Gebruikers
0 Vind-ik-leuks
828 Bekeken
(@howcome)
Deelgenomen: 19 jaar geleden
Topic starter  

Hello,

I write in English, I'm afraid.

I have two DSS940 speakers that need foam replacements. I plan to install these:

http://www.speakerrepairshop.nl/index.php?action=article&aid=88&lang=EN

However, I don't see an obvious way to open the speakes in the front. Shouldn't it be possible to take out the speakers themselves from the front? Here's a series of pictures that show how to service the electronics in the back:

http://www.gedanken-polizei.de/dss-940.php

But it seems that there is a divider wall that one cannot easily go through. Advice from others would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Håkon, Oslo

Citeren
 Remi
(@remi)
Noble Member

Hello Håkon,
please take a look at these photo stories, by "Refoamen van de DSS940 Woofers" you'll find what you're looking for. (click the thumbnail)
http://remi.mfbfreaks.nl/index.ht m"> http://remi.mfbfreaks.nl/index.htm

You would need to remove the rubber fittings of the front cover and you have to remove the plastic cover of the IR unit. Behind this red plastic cover are the other 2 screws you need to remove, so 6 in total.
Be carefull with the plastic cover and do it slowly, it is attached with thin double sided adhesive tape.
I'll place this cover with the adhesive tape on a empty stickerpage so the adhesive is protected against dust en can be easily removed afterward when you are reassembeling the front.

It can be helpfull to use a ruler as an lever to detach the front from the housing. place the lever with the long side in the gap between box and front and tilt it until it comes loose, there might be some glue from the rubber band holding case and front together.

Good luck!

BeantwoordenCiteren
(@howcome)
Topic starter  

Thanks Remi, your pictures are wonderful! It took me about 2 minutes to get inside the box once I found the secret screws. Here's my progress so far:

New foam and glue has been ordered, so I hope to have the speakers ready for Christmas.

Cheers,
Håkon

BeantwoordenCiteren
 Remi
(@remi)
Noble Member

Håkon, glad i could help 8)

you might want to unhook both connectors on the woofer, this gives you more room for cleaning the conus and frame.

They are different in size so you don't have to fear a mixed up connection later on.

good luck!

BeantwoordenCiteren
(@howcome)
Topic starter  

The foam rings arrived and have been installed. One of the two speakers came fully back to life, much thanks to your instructions. The other one lacked sound from the tweeter. Is it likely to be a fault in the tweeter unit in the front, or in the electronics in the back? The cables look ok.

BeantwoordenCiteren
(@tim89)
Estimable Member
Deelgenomen: 14 jaar geleden

turn the volume for a moment almost full open
usually He works then again

greetings tim

BeantwoordenCiteren
 Remi
(@remi)
Noble Member

the small print relay which connect or disconnect both woofer and tweeter with the amplifiers is known to become poor contact resistance.
this results in a bad behavior in sound, a few times on-off switching with the appropied A, B or C channel can help for a short time.

But a complete dead tweeter is not common due to bad contacts so maybe you are unlucky and is the tweeter open.

remove the amplifier on the back by losening the screws on the outerleft- and right (6 ?). it might stick a little bit so you might want to use some force to seperate it from the casing.

You can now easily measure the resitance between the yellow wires which lead to the tweeter.
I hope there is still any instead of infinity...

good luck!

BeantwoordenCiteren
(@howcome)
Topic starter  

I turned the faulty speaker on and off and suddenly I had my tweeter back. Perhaps the relay just needed a little exercise after sitting idle for a year?

Thanks for the help provided in this forum!

BeantwoordenCiteren
 Remi
(@remi)
Noble Member

8) :mrgreen:

BeantwoordenCiteren
Deel: