3 Gebruikers
0 Vind-ik-leuks
617 Bekeken
(@wasnix)
Deelgenomen: 17 jaar geleden
Topic starter  

❓ ❓

Hello,

does anybody know if there are some prototype DSP are ever made?
I know, but cant remember,some years ago i was in contact with somebody who refered that philips planed a DSP for the DSS Series.

Looking at the DSC 950 at the backplane, handbook and specially on the scematic you will found the connection for a DSP system.
Is there a "secret" RC-5 IR command, that enable(open) the connection between DSP in and DSP out -which Iam looking fore.

Then you can plug in (like the monitor option from reel tapes)the DSP in the signal path.
I do that about some years ago,it worked,but i dit it with some hardware changes on the DSC motherboard.
At that time i dit have a different reason to do that.

Now i will change from my flat to my house and will install two surround systems,one with a complete meridian system and one with the DSS/DSC and a meridian digital surround controller(565).
The technical reason is that the volume controll works different on both brands, and with a programeable RC is much more comfortable instead of operating two RCΒ΄s at the same time just for changing the volume.

Does anybody have more information about the RC5 command or info about the DSP prototypes from philips?

Thanks

Robert

Citeren
(@wasnix)
Topic starter  

Hello,

is that a secret, or really does nobody know anything?? ;-))

Robert

BeantwoordenCiteren
(@m0vieman)
Noble Member

Hi m8,

I just registered today so I'm kinda new in the forum. Welcome to all MFB-audiphiles I would like to say. πŸ˜€

No man there is no secret about the initially planned DSP 9xx from Philips. However, officially it has never been built. Yes there was a prototype back in the days but Philips never started producing or even selling it because of an expected prize around € 5.000,-. I did call Philips (an engineer from the 900-project) back then to get some information and this is exactly what they said to me.

Greetz,

m0vieman.

BeantwoordenCiteren
(@wasnix)
Topic starter  

Hi m0vieman,

welcome and thanks for your input.
Do you mean you get a chance to that philips engineer again?
Iam very interested for that,
my goal is to have a digital decoder (meridian 565 ) together with the DSS speakers.

Which equipment do you have,where is your homeplace?

Robert

BeantwoordenCiteren
(@m0vieman)
Noble Member

Hi again,

Well, I talked to the guy back in the days when Philips still had good customersupport. Those times are long gone unfortunately.

Funny thing is that I was in the army at that time together with the son of one of the engineers who created DCC! The world is a small place indeed.

I kinda lost contact over the years. Shit happens you know and life goes on. Must be 15 years ago at least...

I have the DSC950 with 2 DSS930SE and 2 DSS930, CD850MkII, Marantz DD-82 (DCC) and some other stuff...

Dunno if there are any RC-5 codes to "trigger" the DSP-function but I do have all Philips RC-5 codes from all appliances on a dusty list somewhere. But hell where did I put it? Let's hope for a miracle...

My homeplace: The Netherlands (EU).

Greetz,

m0vieman.

BeantwoordenCiteren
(@leendert)
Reputable Member
Deelgenomen: 19 jaar geleden

i do have a "modified" dsc 950 besides my standard one connected to dss930
I picked this up at some junkstore in eindhoven.

there is a rather large PCB mounted inside the cabinet and some flatcables are connected to and from the mainboard
only ... i really dunno what this does and i hesitate to try this on my dss set because .. well you understand tricky business if something failes..

I wil have a look for it to make some pictures as i have just moved so i am not sure where i have left it..

BeantwoordenCiteren
(@m0vieman)
Noble Member

Hi,

Yeah, pics would be great! I might find out something about the modifications...

Thanks in advance.

Greetz,

m0vieman.

BeantwoordenCiteren
(@wasnix)
Topic starter  

πŸ™‚
Hello M0vieman,

always the same,thanks again.

Hello leendert,

very very interesting info,
iam also strongly interested to get more info,pictures..

Thanks

Robert

BeantwoordenCiteren
(@wasnix)
Topic starter  

❓
Hello leendert

do you mean,you can make some pictures,
iam very interested.

Thanks

Robert